From: at-l-bounces@backcountry.net [mailto:at-l-bounces@backcountry.net] On
Behalf Of Jan Leitschuh
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 21:46
To: AT-List; ellen@clinic.net
Subject: [at-l] Loons, was Back from Boston

> I occasionally see loons in sheltered salt-water coves in the winter,
where I understand they spend their winters, though mostly to the south of
Maine.
> But I've never heard or seen them here during the summer.

Do loons fly south in the winter?

There is an awful nifty inland lake in NC, huge and shallow, no
hunting allowed, in a state park, right near the coast and near Lake
Matamuskeet

...(the name is escaping me, starts with a P, near the Scuppernong
River... Clark, help me out here),

... where I like to go in winter and paddle among the migrating
northern fowl like Alaskan snow geese from the tundra, mergansers and
trumpeter swans. The joint is packed by Christmas. The racket is so
loud it goes on all night.

Once in awhile I think I hear a loon. Do I? It makes sense to me that
they would visit coastal Carolina in the winter, but the goose noise
is so loud it's hard to discern. Does anyone know if loons migrate
this far south?

Loon Shoe, who also remembers bird and plants names more readily than
people, but obviously, not lake names...

PS If anyone nearby likes to paddle and wants to take a winter trip to
this amazing Carolina treasure, e-mail me off list. Camping at the
state park.

--
     	AT Journal:
	http://www.trailjournals.com/Liteshoe/