[at-l] The Train, ala Curtis, New york City

NYC Train info from the irascible Herr Balls:

"Clyde,
Go to Grand Central and get on the Metro North Train (Harlem Line) to
the Appalachian Trail.  There's an AT stop on this Line. You want the
Harlem Line toward Dover Plains.  The stop will put you directly on
the AT in about an hour.  I think it's at Brewster that you change
trains from electric to diesel.  Round trip webticket off-peak tkt is:
$20.90 and peak time is: $27.56, on-board or station tickets are
slightly higher.  Here's the MTA's Metro-North RR URL.
http://mta.info/mnr/index.html

When you enter Grand Central look up over the ticket windows and
locate the HARLEM line booths, get ON line.  After you've mastered
getting ON line, it works the same at Grand Central as it does all
over the world.  Ask the clerk which platform the train leaves from.
Walk across the big hall to find the platforms. You can also catch the
same train at 125th Street and Park Avenue in Harlem in case you're up
in that neighborhood, which I recommend going to while you're there.
My old stomping grounds.

Going north on the AT from this stop is a little easier hike.  South
is a bit harder but the views are more spectacular overlooking the
valley and you'll get to see the Dover Oak.  The walk over the Bear
Mountain bridge is not to be missed.  You can't imagine how superior
you'll feel to all those people driving across.

Go, enjoy.  I'm jealous.

Railroad Balls "