[at-l] $1.5 Million for Mt Abrams land

The subject line of this thread is grossly in error. The Land For Maine's Future board at the meeting yesterday only added $31,000 to the amount previously approved, for a total of $157,000.

The increase reflects higher appraisal figures as land prices escalate in the years since the project was first begun.

The "private sources"  the article refers to is the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust, which has agreed to complete this project which was begun a decade ago by the Appalachian Trail Conference.

We need to raise $450,000 for this parcel and a smaller parcel on the southern slopes of Saddleback by September 30. If we fail, the land will fall into the hands of speculators. Meade Westvaco, the former owner of the Rumford paper mill, which includes much of the area that Papa Bear described so eloquently a couple of days ago, has sold all of its holding in Maine, holding out only a few small parcels where previous land sale negotiations were underway.

Unfortunately the land is no longer owned by timber companies intent on harvesting wood, but investors seeking to make a profit buying and selling land.

Weary