[at-l] Bush opens forest roads

In a message dated 7/16/04 21:11:24 Eastern Daylight Time,
lorac4491@linkamerica.net writes:

> IS IT A LOSING BATTLE?  Will I (you) wake up one morning and turn on the TV
> (except I refuse to pay for cable any longer) (well for now) and listen to
> the news that there are no more forests for forest fires?  No green flyways
> for birds.  No pristine streams?  No trout left, all having been killed by silt
> and fertilizer run off?  Will we see an Appalachian Trail that is
> 'pedestrian' friendly, all the rocks and roots removed, black-topped, escalators and a
> few elevators?
>
> What about 'our' self-interest???  What can we or I do to curb the trend?
> And how much will it cost?

There is an organization that is concerned with this problem and with the
specific needs of Hikers.  It is the American Hiking Society. They state that AHS
members are dedicated to preserving America's trails and their natural
surroundings.  They are located at 1422 Fenwick Lane, Silver Spring, MD 20910  and
information can be had at: <Info@AmericanHiking.org> so there is an
organization that lobbies effectively for those who love to hike.

Another thought (some may balk at this).  The various states issue Hunting
and Fishing Licenses and the holders of those licenses have some clout with
State governments through the clubs or groups to which they belong.  What if there
were Hiking Licenses?  (What?  You mean a license to walk in the woods?  Are
you crazy?).

Well, what would you think about that?  A national license to hike.  Come on
-- let us hear what your gut is telling you.  Just think of the impact that
might have on legislation regarding wild land (wilderness).  There could even be
different levels of membership/license divided by geographical areas (East
Coast license or Western License or such).  Why there could even be time limited
licenses such as a Day license or a Month license or a three month license,
etc., and it could be worked out that the Government (National Park/Forest)
gets 1/3 of the fee, the States (where people reside get one-third and the
various hiking organizations (designated by the hiker who applies) gets one-third.
Shall we all write our representatives and ask for this?

What do you think?

Skylander