[at-l] cox 2

Saw your question and in my compulsion to take care of all things medical I'm responding.  Cox-2 stands for cyclo-oxygenase 2.  Cyclo-oxygenase is an enzyme normally present normally many places in the body.  That one is cyclo-oxygenase - 1.  Cox-1 does many things one of which is help produce the mucous lining that protects the stomach.  It is present all the time UNLESS you take an anti-inflammatory that blocks it such as aspirin/aleve/motrin etc...   Cox-2 is an enzyme present ONLY when inflammation such as arthritis/menstrual cramp swelling is present.  Cox -2 INHIBITORS are exactly that.  They ONLY inhibit or block cox-2 so that the functions of cox-1 are maintained.  The other anti-inflammatories block both.  Thus the stomach remains protected (and blood clotting is equally unaffected unlike aspirin) when you take a cox-2 inhibitor.  Vioxx, celebrex and bextra are some examples.  Personally I think bextra is the best stuff I've ever seen for menstrual cramps and many arthritis patients as well as tendinitis sufferers.  It also costs an arm and a leg plus some fingers on the other hand so that is a major issue.  Does this make any sense and do you have any other questions?

Bev (trail runner for 3 decades and MD for one and a half)