[at-l] Cell Phones - Yawn

In a message dated 6/28/04 4:40:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

<< Balderdash! If they were both "purists" of one mind, why did MacKaye and
 Avery have a falling out over the building of the trail?

           ***   When asked to honestly admit what Avery would have been
doing without MacKaye posters usually remain silent. It's obvious enough from the
Trail's present surroundings and how they came to be that the AT was a
gigantic conservation project that complacency and fear of actually pulling it off
managed to curtail. That type of fear is shown in your response Saunterer. To
make such an argument is to argue against what exists and what ATC currently
pursues in its own diminished way. To argue for diversity of opinion is only to
argue against what which is responsible for the best part of the Trail that
those who argue enjoy. Why is it we are asked to unplug our electric devices, not
use oil or coal, etc but not asked to leave the AT if we really don't like
conservation and those who push for it? The irony that the AT is the result of
all that "unplugging" isn't lost on me. It humors me that those who make that
argument don't realize it.

           You are asking yourself the right question above. I think I have
answered it. Think about what MacKaye, the designer of the AT, was having a
problem with?

 Honest people recognize that it takes cooperation and tolerance to create a
 project the size of the AT and that you can't get that by being an elitist,
 suggesting that those with different motives/viewpoints are not worthy
 because they don't see things exactly as you do.

                 ***   I think you might be surprised at who exactly is being
"elitist" here. With so much obviousness being denied and ignored it would
seem to me that those who wish to do so and still demand equal footing as far as
value of opinion exert a sort of elitism of their own. Myself I would think
it would be fairly elitist to ask that those who support the Trail, and can
articulate it, accept views that work against that cause as normal and
reasonable. I would ask those persons only one thing, if you really don't like the Trail
be honest, don't use general politics or rhetoric to nip away at it, just
come right out and say you would rather see the land developed and buffer taken
away from the Trail. That your status politic or casual sensibility is stronger
than your support for the AT and what it is as expressed by those who best
know and can articulate it without name calling or derogatory labels, or calls
for shutting it off.

  All I've said was
 that they don't destroy wildness except in the minds of those who are
 hypersensitive to the presence of them. I've also said we should be
 focusing on keeping coverage from extending to wild areas (i.e. no cell
 towers on mountain tops please). I *thought* I'd been pretty plain about
that.

                    ***     If you are calling for honest evaluation you
should practice it yourself. If you are for restricting cell-phone infrastructure
into wild areas you should admit that taking a mild stand won't work with the
forces that threaten [AT] wilderness. Honest observers would see that the
issue is shut down and avoided by those most directly concerned. Those who simply
see it as a matter of etiquette miss the entire point. To make the argument
that cell-phones have no impact on the AT's condition is to ignore how they have
already changed the Trail. If people don't like hearing that or care doesn't
really make any difference. Honest evaluation would see that those closer to
official Trail involvement see the threat, those least interested don't. Never
should equal say or value of opinion be given to those least interested.
Calling people 'elitist' doesn't solve that.

 Now just who ridiculed cell phone users by saying that are too frightened
 to go into the woods without their phones. All I said was that notion was
 nonsense and if you can't see a cell phone without your hike being ruined
 you need to look inside yourself to see why.

                ***     Of course, when persons concerned with the AT try to
impress that the Trail was *designed* to do that very thing they hear
"balderdash"! Is it perhaps "bad etiquette" to scoff at persons who try to push for
more Trail understanding? Maybe we should be looking into ourselves to see why
we think Trail organization will ruin our experience as well?