[at-l] musings on wind farms, the Trail, mankind and such

--- J Bryan Kramer <jbryankramer@msn.com> wrote:
>You did note that you would have to cover 4 Massachusetts
>sizes areas with solar cells to generate 20% of current power use, didn't
>you.

Life is hard.  One problem we have in discussions--all discussions is that
"solutions" offered, for some reason have to be perfect.  We can't do a little
of this and a little of that to reduce energy use or dependence on outside
sources, we have to have the One True Solution that Does It All.

We are a mass society.

You could cover your house with solar cells and disconnect from the public
grid.  Then you'd be known far and wide as "that oddball with the funny looking
house."
You could buy a Hybrid car and rig it to recharge the battery mostly from your
solar house when there was power available.  Then you'd be known as "that funny
guy with the oddball car."

You could cover the car with solar cells to at least run the radio--lighten the
load.  Right.  You'd be known as "that funny oddball with the ugly car."

Then, one day Sony would announce its "Drive, Man!" line of automobiles and its
"Live, Man!" homebuilding unit and everyone would want what you already had.
And then, well, you'd be known as that guy who couldn't afford any of the
"Man!" line of products.

I dunno. Life seemed much simpler when all I thought about was to just get up
every morning and keep hiking.

=====
JestBill  Ga--->Me '03