[at-l] musings on wind farms, the Trail, mankind and such

Hey!  First, I applaud your individual actions - nothing worthwhile ever
got done without the many small steps - real action - taken by many
individuals . . . having said that, I do differ with your thoughts in a
couple of important respects.  Mankind and his/her superdevelopment in
western countries - especially the US - is not something to be ashamed
of, is not "unnatural" (see some of my prior musings on this topic), and
really is not all that out of line when you compare the amount of
productivity associated with "our" country's use of a larger percentage
of the world's resources.  Further, I am an optimist - we always will
discover new forms of energy, conservation, etc.  No, the real battle is
not one of moral guilt, but rather one of preferred choices - what kind
of a world do we want?  I, for one, want one where we work hard to keep
a number of areas undeveloped, but are not ashamed of the areas that we
do develop - we need both long term to maximize our potential as a
species, and our role as (if you will) God's trustees . . . the computer
and internet revolutions offer hope (remember Alvin Toffler's book
"Third Wave"?  it is still relevant!) . . . if we can use these tools to
maximize decentralization of majro industries (such as power companies),
we can do some amazing things - BUT, we also have to realize that to
keep some areas undeveloped, we will need to have a lot of people living
in more densly populated areas - a big dilemma right now of the
so-called "smart growth" movement is the fact that we have to cluster
people in relatively dense areas in order to maximize surrounding
"greenspaces" . . . I see an important moral there - i.e., we need both
technology and dense population centers and open, undeveloped green
spaces, plus high tech food production in order to make this planet
sustainable for the longer term . . . then, if you look REALLY long
term, who the heck knows??  Geologically speaking, we have only been
here for a few seconds on the 24hour clock of earth's existence . . . a
point that should humble us on whatever side of whatever policy issue we
may be on!

The AT is an excellent, living metaphor for all this . . . we decry
highways, towers, air and sound pollution, etc. - but we need all of
that for any of us to get to the darn thing in the first place, and for
us to return "home" afterwards! :)

clark
[thru-thinker]