[at-l] Pike's Peak Pics Posted (and a trip report)

Colorado is a state known for high peaks. There are
over 50 peaks in the state of Colorado that are over
14000 feet. The most famous of these "14ers" is by far
Pike's Peak. Not the tallest, not (in my opinion) the
most beautiful but certainly the most famous.

Unlike most of the other 14ers in Colorado, it is also
 by itself, thrusting from the high plains of
southeast Colorado. It dominates the horizon of the
town of Colorado Springs. "The Springs" is most famous
for having the Air Force academy in addition to three
air force bases as well as an Army base (Ft. Carson).
You will see many military people hiking up and down
Pike's with their govt issued OD Green or Khaki Camel
Backs.

Amy wanted to do Pike's as her first 14er due to the
fact that she lived in Colorado Springs when younger
(her Dad is currently a Lt. Col in the Airforce, was
stationed at the academy previously) and  she lived
there for a while after she graduated from college.
She had some pleasant memories there. We decided to
backpack the mountain rather than do a long day hike
(26 miles R/T, nearly 7500' elev gain!).  I normally
do not do 14ers because I do not care for the crowds
and I am not a peak bagger by nature. I am usually
more content to do a "13er" that is out of the way,
has less people and has equally good, if not better,
views. But this was a trip Amy wanted to do..and well,
cute red-heads can be persuasive. :-)

Friday we left after work, found a campsite and woke
up early Saturday morning. Had my caffiene jolt for
the day and was dismayed to find little parking even
at 6:30 AM.  Had to park a mile from the TH. Loaded up
the packs and off we went. When going solo, I am very
lightweight. Sub 10 pounds! On this trip though,
carried a tent for the first trip in 5 yrs, an MSR
cookset, a Whisperlite and all the food. As mentioned,
there is a much elevation gain from base to summit.
Nearly 7500'. Wanted to carry as much weight as
possible to make the trip more comfortable for a
person doing her first 14er.

The day was overcast. Starting at relatively low
elevation (6500' or so), we started in high plains
type plantlife. Gamble oak, yucca, even saw some
lizards.
The Barr Trail  was a busy trail. Mountain Bikers are
allowed on it. People training for an upcming Pikes
Peak marathon (which I am temped to do some time...
Brutal race..but I am nuts. :D), many hikers, etc.

Made our way up the trail and broke into aspens and
saw much wildflowers. Had my only "run in" of the day
with someone. Every mountain biker I met was
unfailingly polite and yielded to us or gave a warning
as they came down.  People who wanted to pass us said
hello then "excuse me". All the trail runners did
something similar. All but one anyway. A woman booking
down the mountain did not say excuse me, or hello and
almost ran into Amy. That ticked me off to say the
least. As a trail runner myself, I am ALWAYS aware
that I am sharing the trail and yield to people who
are going uphill if possible or at the very least say
"hello" and "excuse me please".  This woman did
neither. Well, I yelled at her as she passed "NEXT
TIME SAY 'EXCUSE ME PLEASE'. IT IS EASIER!!!!"  She
ran, stopped and said in a curt town "WHAT WAS
THAT?!?!".  I then told her it is easier to  say
"excuse me" rather than running into people and that
people going uphill, esp. those with packs, have the
right of way. She said "Not on this trail!".  I then
told her "Don't give me that...I'm a trail runner
myself". She then mumbled another excuse about how she
got around us anyway. I basically said, that it was
rude and she should be more aware of trail ettiquette.
And told her, equally curtly, to have a nice day. She
mumbled something again and ran off.
Just because you are running does not mean you have
the right of way over everyone....  Not just hiking
periodicals say this but running web sites too.

Anyway, got over this quickly. Just ticked me off.

Continued up the trail, made it to Barr Camp where Amy
took a well deserved break. This was only her 2nd
backpacking trip! She is a naturally strong hiker (and
very stubborn!), but a break would do her good. Barr
Camp reminded me of an AMC hut. T-shirts for sale,
candy, soda. They even serve meals. Unlike an AMC hut,
they have much tenting nearby and is reasonably
priced.
In all fairness to the AMC huts, it is much easier to
get supplies to Barr Camp due to an ATV service road
that is open on weekdays.

Took a pleasant break by the stream, hiked up to
Timberline aka the A-frame camp. Amy was starting to
feel tired, but we made it to camp. Set up the tent
with  nice east facing view of Colorado Springs and
the plains. It was rapidly clouding over and rain came
down hard. Good time for a nap!

After the nap, made dinner while looking at the storm
that had moved out. Could see lightning over the
plains. Quite impressive.

Woked up in the morning, ate breakfast, switched to
small daypack that Amy had brought and carried
everything. Amy just walked with a water bottle. The
day was spectacular. Great views!  I was reminded of
the Presidentials. Rolling hills nearby, could see
buildings and roads below, the Barr Camp was like an
AMC hut and even the terrain was similar. And, the
amount of people reminded me of the Presies, too! :D

Made it to the summit after a steep climb (yet another
White mtn reminder!) and popped out in the summit. To
further take this Mt. Washington comparison, Pike's
Peak has an auto road, a large summit building AND a
cog railway! It was quiet on top because the train had
not arrived yet for the day. No sooner did I make this
comment than the train arrived with all the people. :O

We took some pics, had some breakfast. Looked at the
view that inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write the
lyrics for "America the Beautiful" in 1893.

Made our way down the trail and back to camp. Loaded
up our packs and made our way down the trail. I did
mention Amy was stubborn. Told her she may want to use
a pole for downhill. She said nope.

Well, needless to say, the steep downhill with a pack
made her legs tired. It was slow going downhill, but
we did it. Left Amy at the trailhead, did a one mile
run to pick up the car (Amy called me a freak. :D),
changed into a cotton t-shirt and shorts (AHHHH!) and
drove to nearby Mexican restaurant where a very tired
Amy had two magaritas. Better than any aspirin she
said. :-)
(Since I drove, thought one beer was enough!)

Nice trip. Reminded me of hiking back in NH...and
reminded me of why I don't do 14ers too often. :-)

Pics up at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/co04?&page=19

=====
--Thoreau