[at-l] Check out this story

In a message dated 7/13/04 08:32:44 Eastern Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

> He got off easy. Yellow jackets can be *really* nasty. Once I hit a nest
> with a scythe while cutting weeds on a steep bank and got stung about 2
> dozen times before I got away. BTW this story is another good reason to be
> hammock camper. :)

I Hammock Camp.  BUT, a long time ago I wanted to show my daughter how to
catch frogs at a lake we visited each year.  We walked along the edge of the lake
and wouldn't you know it, I stepped on a Yellow Jackets next.  I told her to
RUN!  and I ran the wrong way and got about a dozen "hits."  Lousy experience.

But, back to the point, a long time ago (even longer than above) I was
camping in Westchester County in NY State and as is my wont I sat in the woods
trying to observe nature.  I noticed that high in one of the trees there was a
Hornet's nest.  It was not obvious at first but as I sat quietly I could see the
hornets returning to the nest (and some were leaving as well) and it went on
for hours.

So, now, when I hammock, I look up and try to determine if there is a
hornet's nest in the trees that I am tying my hammock to as well as in the
surrounding trees.  I don't want to be "surprised" some morning.

And, even when Hammocking it is possible to encounter Yellow Jackets that
nest in the ground nearby.  Those stings may be somewhat therapeutic (the protein
in the venom may help with arthritis, etc.), but too much of a good thing is
too much.

Skylander