Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:33:57 -0400
From: Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com>
Subject: [at-l] My Amazing River Trip
To: AT-List <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

A really awesome thing happened on the river, yesterday. I've just got
to tell SOMEBODY!
[edited for brevity]From gwa at antigravitygear.com  Tue Jul 13 05:17:38 2004
From: gwa at antigravitygear.com (Tin Man)
Date: Tue Jul 13 06:20:44 2004
Subject: [at-l] the sincerest form of flattery

About 2 years ago I looked at my Wally World Grease Pot and wondered if anyone could make the pot with the lip rolled outward instead of inward.  This was a direct result of posts to this list.  I called a lot of manufacturers including the company who markets the WWGP.  They didn't actually make the pot but directed me to the company in Wisconsin who does.  After much time and effort and meeting with the manufacturer in person I had them make a couple of pots for me which are a modification of an existing design.  Thus was born the Mama's Kitchen.  I wish I had had the smarts to negotiate an exclusive arrangement with them.  (heavy sigh)

Sales were fine in this little niche I had carved out for my young company until recently.  My sales died suddenly.  Graveyard dead.  Naively, I wasn't aware the manufacturer was selling them to anyone else.  Thru chance I discovered one of my competitors had started selling the same pots at a lower price.  THE NERVE OF HIM!!!!!  What does he think this is...America or sumpthin?  :)    BTW This was after he strongly urged me to raise the price of my Hard Anodized pots to allow for distribution to resellers like him. (Which I didn't do)   He even lifted my copyrighted artwork off my website without asking to advertise his lower priced pots.  In fairness, he did have the class to apologize and remove my artwork from his site when asked.  He also pointed out that Campmor is selling the same pots for even less...about 50% less.

While I am fairly proud in a Dumb-And-Dumber sort of way to see the pots I designed listed in Campmor, how can a Mom & Pop operation compete with Campmor?  Well, what I CAN'T do is buy a train car load of pots and sell them at almost no profit.

So, I have lowered the prices of my pots and sets to meet my competitor and beat Campmor's regular price and will include an LED Ultra-Light with every purchase of a pot or cookset - one per order.  I will also include a trail data cotton camptowel with every Mama's Kitchen Deluxe full set sold - also one per order.  Buy the pots from Campmor if you must and get the cozies from me for the best savings OR buy the pots and cozies from me and get the freebies.

Review:  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cook%20Sets/AntiGravityGear%20Mamas%20Kitchen%20Cookset/Rick%20Allnutt/Long%20Term%20Report/

Ok..rant mode now set back to standby.

Tin Man
AntiGravityGear, LLC