[at-l] Answer me this - a clothing query

Answer me this please.

I'm over on www.northernmountain.com looking at the ultra-light killer deals.

It suddenly dawns on me that if I purchased every item golite sells, I would not be ultra-light.  I'd be carrying three or four golite packs stuffed to the gills (the extension collars would be bulging at the seams).

So THE QUESTION is: for an "ultra-light" company, why does golite produce so many different yet similar articles of gear?  I can understand a couple styles/fill weights of sleeping bags/blankets.  But ALL those "jackets" and "pants"????????

I'm sure I'm missing something here.  I carry ONE extra pair of nylon shorts and tee shirt, a pair of midweight thermies, and a pair of fleece sox.  When it's coldish, I add to that a "brain freeze" cap, pair of glove liners, and a down sweater (that I got at SunDog Outfitters in Damascus -- it's wonderfully warm), oh, and a pair of cool max sock liners to wear with my Chacos if my toes get cold.  And the Precip Jacket always goes with me.  I use a black plastic bag with the bottom slit as a rain skirt, if needed.

So is there a "real" backpacking answer to my query?

Coosa Donaldson
< "In essentials, unity; in doubtful matters,
liberty;  in all things, charity." >
Casey&Crockett Donaldson
Shop Local, Shop Often
Blairsville, Georgia, USofA

Nobody cares if you can dance well, just get up and dance.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.