[at-l] Development group endorses wind farm

#1 - I'm busy fighting the Wal-Mart monopoly's destruction of hometown habitat.

#2 - I don't know what's inevitable based on humanity's desire to self-destruct and what's not.

3 - I'm more concerned about the obviously overlooked in the article destruction and reduction of birds in the flyway.  Maybe their engineers told them that lighting the blades would protect the birds.

4 - From my point of view, the USofA is greedy.  We're not respected by many other Countries because we use up more of the world's resources than all the other Countries combined (or so I read).  We MUST have our "acre of land" with a house and 2.5 cars and 2.5 children.  I'm assuming that the .5 car is a motorcycle and that every other family has 3 children instead of 2.  (My parents had 2, I had 2, both of my kids have 3.)  We sit in air-conditioned offices with state-of-the-art computers, drive or ride to work in gas/diesel/electric cars/buses/trains.  The majority of USofAmericans have never ventured overseas or to any of the closer Countries.  Our kids fail geography tests.  Most of them don't even know how to find the USofA on a globe.  We teach our kids "OUR" history and not the history of other cultures and how it did or did not affect the USofA or how WE affected any other Country's history.  And then we expect our children to grow up and become useful citizens.  (Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it?)

5 - The buck stops at US.  You and me and Felix and JohnO and GoVolsKelly and Weary and everyone else.  WE are either part of the solution or we are part of the problem.

I've cut off my cable.  There's one twist of the wind-tower-blades that won't need to be used.  But that doesn't stop the problem.  I don't have air-conditioning in my house.  But that doesn't stop the problem.

I have to look seriously at what I'm using, what I'm tossing, what I could recycle, what I need to learn to do to be able to provide for myself in the event that becomes necessary.  I need to examine how I spend my income and what I spend it on.  Sure I can shoot/harvest the deer, but I don't know how to skin and how to tan the skin or sew it into clothing.  Sure I can grow a garden, but did I this year?  (no)  I am keeping the 39 mile to the gallon 10 year old vehicle rather than buying an SUV or other gas-guzzler.  I'm going to pick my bike up at my daughter's next time I'm down there and start to ride it rather than drive the car all the time.  YET, I do enjoy NASCAR which wastes hundreds of gallons of gasoline -- HIGH quality gasoline -- every weekend.  What compromise with my environmental ethics I make is between "me and I" -- and that one is still waiting for an answser.  My refusal to listen (remember, no tv) to the race won't stop the races.  My listening to the races is enjoyment.

See how confused I can make myself????

As far as preservation of the eco-system, I'm only one person.  We have at 6:38:48 PM today 293,704,823 people living in the USA.  For everyone on this list there are other "necessities" and "niceties" and "must/should/ought/want" items to spend their incomes on.  None of us is like any other of us.  The one thing we have in common, though, is the Appalachian Trail.

And each of us examines his/her own heart and soul regarding every issue brought before us.  Weary takes a stand as do others.  Yet, how many of us are willing to admit to being influenced by his rhetoric?

I have no answers for anyone other than for myself.  And many times, I have no answsers FoR myself.

Quandry and Connundrum here I come.

To make this hiking related:  I have gear I don't use.  I'm in the process of selling some of it at reduced prices.  Eventually all I plan to have is just what I need and nothing more.  (Okay, maybe another backpack, but I'm very happy with everything else.  I think.  Maybe.  Yes, I am happy with everything else.)  So I'm recycling gear rather than including it in the "museum room" for formerly useful items of gear.

Off the soapbox for a breather,

Coosa Donaldson
< "In essential, unity; in doubtful matters,
liberty;  in all things, charity." >
Casey&Crockett Donaldson
We think, therefore we hike!
We also kayak, so we're 'deep' thinkers, too.
Shop Local, Shop Often
Blairsville, Georgia, USofA