[at-l] From the Kingfield, ME, Newspaper---

In a message dated 7/9/04 7:34:35 PM, lbooher@pure.net writes:

> 51 percent of hikers, 75 percent of snowmobilers, 80 percent of hunters, 83
> percent of skiers and 84 percent of locals were supportive or neutral
> regarding the project.

         ***     Of the alleged "51%" of hikers who support the
industrialization of the ridges surrounding the wildest part of the AT, I wonder how many
know who MacKaye was or could articulate what the AT's purpose is in regard to
conservation?

> ? ? ? ? ? ?
> ? ? ? ? ? ? "That's been the history of other wind farms," he said. "They've
> been an attraction."
>
> ? ? ? ? ? ? Trafton disputed this claim.
>
> ? ? ? ? ? ? "This is a blow to outdoor recreation in this area," he said.
> "People will go up to look at it once. But people come back to look at these
> mountains year after year. There is no evidence that people are clamoring to go
> back to a wind power plant."

               ***     Never once mentioning the AT as anything significant
in the matter. Why doesn't Endless mention the AT? Maybe Endless doesn't give a
"Rat's *$$" about the AT?

> ? ? ? ? ? ? "We realize that people think it will not be good visually,"
> said Hagerstrom. "Wind turbines now are so much more streamlined than earlier
> wind turbines, and they're much quieter." She added that the board was
> impressed at the research that EEC had done on the project, and felt that jobs
> related to the wind farm would give the county's economy a boost.

               ***    Wait, you realize they will have a horrible visual
impact but address this by pointing out their auditory impact? Ms. Hagerstrom: A
few questions. One, have you ever heard of the AT? Two, what do lighted
swirling blades at night mean to you?

> ? ? ? ? ? ? While the opposition has not yet made a presentation to the
> development board, Trafton said that they would in the near future. "I can tell
> you we intend to go and speak to that group," he said. "We are surprised to
> see that they came out in support of the figures."
>
> ? ? ? ? ? ? "We're going to make an effort to change their minds."

               ***     This smells to me like a 'Green Power' trojan horse
meant to supply electricity for Breen's condo heaven paid for by blackmailing
the AT. Remember the ski area jobs promised by this group last time?

              Notice anything missing from this sales pitch? Like maybe the
AT?