[at-l] Hiking anyone?

In a message dated 7/7/04 17:11:43 Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> Anyone else doing any hiking?

Not on the scale that you are planning but I was able to get out on a trail
in the Ramapo Mountains in New Jersey with a group of thirteen people.  Ten of
the group were from a Family Homeless Shelter who were at a respite camp where
they could enjoy some fresh air away from the rigors of normal living.  There
was a lot of reluctance to go on a long walk in the woods but a couple of the
guys and one woman were enthusiastic and persuaded the other seven to come
along.  Of course, once we started out there was no turning back.

The "hike" was short (approximately 4 hours) and included a stop for lunch on
top of Wyanokie High Point, which afforded views of NYC, some 30-35 miles to
the East.  There was some moaning and groaning from some of those hiking but
the majority seemed to enjoy themselves.  One of the women in the group turned
her ankle and her knee began bothering her a bit.  I, for one, was totally
sympathetic to her predicament but there was no way that anyone was going to
carry her out, and for sure she was not going to stay where "the Bears were
living."  So slowly, but surely, she limped along to the next highlight of the hike:
Roomy Mine - an old Iron Mine site.  The whole group (except for two) went
into the mine and walked in to where it ended.  The flashlights were necessary
because the shaft (is it a shaft if the mine does not go up or down?) turned,
blocking the light from the entrance.  Everyone was requested to turn off their
lights and it was so dark that if had a feeling of density (the darkness).
In fact, some said that it had a scary feeling to it.  When lights were once
again turned on there was a noticeable reflection from the rocks (Mica?) and
whatever it was sparkled (diamonds?).

One of the advantages of being in the iron mine on a fairly warm day (80 +
degrees) was the temperature drop experienced.  It was around 50 degrees in the
mine.  The coolness was refreshing.  Not a few commented on the drop in
temperature.  Those who entered the mine were happy for the experience, and the
history lesson that was given by the hike leader on the use of iron in the
revolutionary war and the period preceding the move to western Pennsylvania where the
Iron was more easily obtained.

The hike was to have included a trip to another mine but it was reported
flooded and also to a Water Fall but no roar could be heard (and the time was
getting on) so we proceeded to the parking lot to board the van back to the
Respite Camp.

The highlight for me was the exclamation of one of the Homeless men who was
at the Camp with his family, when he said that he thought that he had hiked
prior to this experience but now he knew that it wasn't really a hike because
this hike was a real hike.  Sometimes in life it is an experience like a hike
that can lift an individual's sight to view life as having more possibilities
than it was thought to have.  Aspirations are denigrated and dreams can be dashed
but experiences that bring one to a new realization of something more that is
available and which offer opportunity to experience a sense of accomplishment
can have long range affect on an individual and a family.

My own knee problems that took me off the AT earlier was in evidence ever so
slightly until the next day when not only knees but ankles, other muscles,
etc., gave an indication that I still need time to get in shape. The short day
hikes do provide a chance to test my progress and it does feel so good to be in
the woods, however short the hike may be.

Anyone else have a hiking experience to share?

Skylander