[at-l] South Illinois's River2River Trail

Born and raised in deeply southern Illinois (Cairo, at the confluence of the Ohio & Mississippi), the R2R is the only trail I've ever wanted to thru.  My ancestors were early settlers in southern Illinois (1820), and I've always wanted to see the land the way they saw it.  I have hiked only the tiniest stretch of the trail, but have been a member of their association for several years.

I have the guide book, which would certainly be improved by more mention of amenities available at/near road crossings and better information on water availability.  When Nimblewill Nomad did his cross-country trek, he bailed off the R2R and opted for a road walk because of all the horse damage on the trail.  Having previously owned horses for many years (and having done horseback pack trips in the Rockies), I ought to have more tolerance for horses than some people might--after all, I don't think horse manure stinks.

It does appear that they've gotten a lot of the trail off the roads.  There are three journals on their website:

http://www.rivertorivertrail.org/

For those of you who think all of Illinois is pancake flat, take a look at the photos.  Way southern Illinois is hilly, rocky, and beautiful (but I'm probably prejudiced).

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com