[at-l] Skeeter's Trail Magic/A Year Ago Yesterday...

In a message dated 7/2/04 15:33:33 Eastern Daylight Time,
janl2@mindspring.com writes:

> He drug me and my pack into Cold Springs, NY for a meal - to a restaurant

The first time I read about that experience I was aching to get on the trail.
 Your telling the story of your adventurous trek in 2003 inspired quite a
few.  I met people out there this year that had read of your miserable, wet,
exhausting, hike and something within them clicked and they caught the bug.  Your
contagion increased the number of trekkers on the AT this year by at least ten
percent (probably more).  Because you made the trail adventure seem so
enticing (how could you when it was so wet and miserable in 2003) some of us (well,
me anyway) thought it was something important to attempt.  My only regret is
that my body did not cooperate; however, I still have dreams.

Having a friend like Skeeter (and the many others that you mentioned in your
journal) is proof positive that you must be a special person for there are
many who have hiked the AT and who have not had such a wide range of people
reaching out to them.  Of course, some others also have been fortunate to attract
the angels that lurk near the AT (sometimes it is a matter of timing) and many
friendships have developed among those who gave great effort to "do the trail."

Keep the memories coming or we will be forced to go back to your  journal for
inspiration.

Skylander