[at-l] What do you use as rain gear?

In a message dated 6/28/2004 1:39:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
AThiker@smithville.net writes:

Yes...but, let's not forget that he would have more than likely  been
fine had he not had his cell fone. Things just went a little easier  for
him.
**
Yup... You can usually walk out, or hitch out. It's just more  inconvenient,
especially after a tough hike.

I think  that is what gets lost in all of this...things'll generally
be fine either  way. I seriously doubt that more people died from
'backwoods' injuries 20  years ago (pre cell fone) than now. The cell
fone may make things a little  easier...but, we got along just fine
without 'em.
**

What you say is true. But not everyone "wants" to get along without  them.
And they don't really have to, even the people that rarely turn them on.
I've
actually used them to describe a view to someone who will never be able to
hike to it. Or laugh with someone after a tough climb (OK, so they were
laughing
AT me). You are absolutely right, most of us DON'T need them. But  we may
bring
them anyway... Why? For lots of reasons, most of which have nothing to do
with
the reasons the "anti cell in the woods" groups use. It's like  why a dog
does
certain things....  Because he can.. ;-)

hotdog
AT 03

--
Felix J.