[at-l] Cell Phones - Yawn

Saunterer writes--our efforts should  really lie, namely in insuring that
cell phone coverage does not get extended to wild areas.

I think that is really the basis of the dislikes and fears of people who
don't want others carrying their cell phones onto trails and into
wilderness.  When phones don't work somewhere its because there are not
enough of those ugly towers close by to send the signals.  The more
non-working phones in the wilderness the more the demand for them to work
grows.  Thereby encouraging the building of more towers on the highest
nearby mountain.  Cell phone usage is growing everyday, and towers are
springing up regularly in my area that is fairly rural.  I don't care how
many folks want to lug their more than likely non-working phones on the
trail, I just don't want to be looking at views and see cell towers on top
of most of the mountains.

This spring while doing some trail magic, a hiker came off of Blue Mtn. into
Unicoi Gap.  His cell phone would not work in the gap, so I took him down
the road a piece to the nearest pay phone, so he could call family.  Maybe
he could have gotten a signal on top of Blue Mtn. I don't know.  But he
couldn't get one in the Gap.

Last year when I was in my van on FS 42 doing support for a couple of hikers
and had a flat tire, I couldn't get a signal right where I was either.  I
know you can get signals at some places on 42, but not where I needed it.
Did I solve my problem without a cell phone?  Yes.  Just like I would have
if my cell phone had not been in my van.  I don't carry them onto the trails
even in my pack.  I'm not willing to haul the extra ounces.  I'd rather
carry my 35 mm camera if I'm carrying extra ounces.

Just my 2 cents, Swallowtail