[at-l] What do you use as rain gear?

In a message dated 6/25/2004 11:07:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsmith@wate.com writes:

I've  come to the conclusion (shared already by a few others on this list)
that  pack covers are worthless. In addition to the already cited problems  of
collecting water, they tend to slip off, they snag on trees, they  don't
cover 100% of the pack, and they are annoying to deal with when it's  not
raining or begins to rain.

**
The useful parts that pack covers play...

1) They keep some of the dirt off my pack as I hike.
2) They are a barrier between the pack and the ground when I sit on
my pack to take a break.
3) I put the cover on my pack when I hang it in a shelter (mice laugh at
this)..
4) I put the cover on when I hang it in a tree when I tent (habit I  guess).
5) It keeps what I have in the mesh pocket on the back of my pack  dry.
6) It catches my gatorade bottle when it falls out of the side  pocket.
7) A big hair covering if I get a Deli job...

Not exactly what I bought it for... But it does keep the bulk of the water
off
my pack too, as long as I put grommeted holes in the bottom.\

Dog