[at-l] Rain gear

Probably not much to add to all of this...I always hate to follow
Shue...she has such a way with words....

When I started my hike  I had a pack cover, marmot rain pants and rain
jacket.  Both were over kill, but I did not know better and my MUCH better
half bought them for me for a present.  She had gone to a local outfitter
and that is what they recommended.

I soon ditched the pack cover and kept a couple of large trash
bags(multi-use and no weight) which I would use one when I needed it to
cover my pack.  I did keep the rain pants, but I bought a Go-Lite rain
jacket which was much lighter and did the job nicely.  I kept the pants and
the Go-Lite the whole way & used them when I'd wash clothes as a cover up
since  I did not carry a change of clothes.
I also used the rain gear in case it got cool and I needed more warming,
even in the summer.  One afternoon in late July I was on Franconia Ridge
when a gosh awful storm hit and it got cold an I was soaked before I could
get my rain gear on.  I hiked the mile down to Greenleaf Hut (took me over
45 minutes) and was very thankful I had kept my rain pants and top.  That
night it snowed down there after midnight!

I cannot imagine how it might have felt had I not had the rain gear.  Given
the circumstances that day, garbage bags might have helped, but not as much
as the rain pants and jacket.

I carried them also on my bike ride & found them to be invaluable then
too.  It amazing what weather you can hit in this US at all times of the year.

Doug