[at-l] What do you use as rain gear?

In a message dated 6/24/2004 5:17:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kdpo@pacbell.net writes:

You got  it upside down if it collects water.
LOL! I don't think so... ULA attaches their covers to straps at the bottom,
you
can't put it on upside down.
No cover is waterproof, unless you wrap it 100% around your pack &  maybe
duct
tape it on... ;-)
No pack is waterproof either, especially after a month or more on the  trail.

Cut  slits for the pack straps
and slip the bag down over the backpack (top of  backpack first). Pull the
pack straps out the slit, then pull the waist  belt thru the slit. If you are
using a garbage bag, you probably have  enough bag hangin' below your
backpack to tie the corners loosely together  to keep it from blowing. You
still will get water flowing down you back,  but it shouldn't pool and add
the extra weight.
Wouldn't, shouldn't, and couldn't aren't worth much when I look  and my pack
is wet anyway... LOL!
In theory, pack covers are great, in the real world things get  wet . There
were
pools in most of the packs I saw, from the covers, or just leakage in the
packs
(from the top, or back pad areas).I think of my 3 Hefty bags as  Insurance...
;-)

hotdog