[at-l] Quick trip reports

Trip the first: Saturday June 11. Land Nav 101.

On the previous Tuesday, did a "classroom session"
where   I went over how to read a topo, difference
between magnetic north and true north, how to take a
bearing, etc. Another friend did the GPS portion. He
showed in twenty minutes with a GPS what took me 1.5
hrs or so to explain with a map and compass. :D In all
seriousness, the first portion of the "class" was to
lay the groundwork. Hard to know how to use a GPS if
you do not know the basic concepts...and if your GPS
fails, you have to know the basics!

Anyway, the following Saturday we went to a local park
and put into use with a map and compass in the field
what we did in the "class" Tuesday. Had everyone do a
bearing exercise that if done right makes them come
back to the original place, plot a course on a map and
plant a survey flag and have everyone find the flag
planted by others. Think people learned from my
instruction. :-)

Sun Jun 12th, did my favorite local hike with someone
new to town. Still lots of wildflowers in the local
foothills and beautiful views of the divide from the
summit of Bear Pk. Good way to introduce someone new
to Colorado hiking.

This past weekend, did my annual "Beginners Backpack"
to Chicago Lakes.  This 5 mile hike is challenging for
beginners..but not so hard they feel overwhelmed. The
second lake is in a gorgeous cirque at 12k feet.
Located on the south side of Mt. Evans (a 14er), it
does not get all that much use. Most of the people on
the trip bailed due to nasty weather in Boulder and
Denver. I had faith though; ,my gut instinct told me
that the weather settled in the valley but it was
sunny above the clouds. Sure enough, by the time we
arrived at Idaho Springs (elev  7524 ft, the closest
town to the trailhead) it was sunny and gorgeous.

The day did cloud up from time to time (and it
drizzled a little at night), but overall it was simply
beautiful. And, the wildflowers were just awesome. A
riot of colors in the tundra like meadow.

The following morning we hiked out under the light of
a strikingly blue sky and enjoyed a great breakfast in
Idaho Springs.

All in all, a great first backpack of the season!

Pics at:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/co04?&page=8

Mags

=====