[at-l] Into the Void

Another book I'm just now reading if a bit old
but good for learing what not to do.
Sorry I left the book at work
It's about the 1996 assent on Mt Everest where several died. I think it's
"Into Thin Air"
Haven't finished this one but it's promising.

BTW Yes I would trust the climber who cut the rope.  He knows the cost of
his his actions in a personal way and has proven that he can make decisoins
decisevly under extreme diuress.  I'm surprised he could think that clearly
to cut the rope with the degree of hypothermia and exhaustion he had.

Brian,
Not to start something again but recently I've
had to offer my female arm to my 85 year old mother and found out that it's
a privledge to do so(actualy feel quite good).  I have not been on the
giving side of this before in my life but after over fifty years of being
served by this marvelouse woman I find it's an absolute thrill  to be a
gentlewoman to her and offer my arm to steady her way in life.
Now I know how priveledged my father felt in doing the same untill he died.

It takes two to apprecate these things as my parents did. You don't have to
be perfect or a slave to be a giving person to your partner.
I know as I watched my mom literley tear down
walls with a sledge hammer for remodleing an inadequate house to get it
liveable and I'm told she washed sheets and all their clothes  in a bathtub
with a rubbing board and kept the milk in the stream cold for this man who
spent 30 years off and on  going to school and teaching school because he
likeed school so much and finaly with two doctorates became a Doctor at age
fifty.
While mom worked nights to suport three kids and a husband including one
child brain damaged from birthing who took three hours to feed.
There much more that these two people found to
compliment each other and it was not all sweet as they knew how to disagree
with each other in heated agruments too.
Don't let the world teach you such cynical bitterness.  It's what you choose
to do  and accept that counts.
Rogene
BTW Dad worked hard too by laying sodd and running a buldozer and teaching
while going to school and many other odd jobs in his life too.
.