[at-l] OT - Hummingbird in the house - Strange (but neat) experience

At 08:17 AM 6/15/2004 -0400, Steve Landis wrote:
>On 6/14/2004 9:56 PM, Jim Bullard wrote:
>

>>>(Or, if you get enuff of 'em, the make a tasty bisque...it just takes a
>>>lot to be enuff.)
>>
>>It would take a hell of a lot of them.
>
>Four and twenty, then double the recipe since they're so small. Just my
>six pence.
>
>Steve

You'd have to (significantly) more than double it. According to a quick web
search a red winged blackbird weighs 45-66 grams
<http://collections.ic.gc.ca/eyeview/English/Shield/black2.htm>. Call it 50
grams and that equals ruffly (as Felix would say) 1.75 oz. I tried
searching on just 'blackbird' but there were too many matches to the
fighter plane to wade through.

A hummingbird however (are you ready for this?) weighs in at 1/100th of an
oz. <http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/birds/RubyThroatedHummingbird.htm>.
Incredible. At that weight they almost don't exist.