[at-l] OT - Hummingbird in the house - Strange (but neat) experience

In a message dated 6/14/04 21:55:51 Eastern Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

> Our hummingbird feeders hang just
> under the eves of the porch and several times when sitting on the porch
> I've had one hover less than a foot from my face, just looking at me. They
> are curious creatures. Sometimes I wish I could talk to them a'la Dr.
> Doolittle.

Have you tried?

When I was on my way to Georgia via AMTRAK in March I had dinner with another
passenger, a nurse in the Forensic Unit in Hartford, CT, who was going to
Atlanta for a visit.  When I told her of my plan to hike the Appalachian Trail
she asked, "What a bout the animals, the bears in the woods?"  I replied that I
would just talk to them.  She asked, in wonder, "Do you know their language?"
I explained that the human voice was a deterrent and that a language was not
involved.  Hmm.  While that may be true, who really knows what the animals
understand.  I am glad that I didn't encounter any large animals while spending a
week on the AT in Georgia as I got up in the night to answer the call of
nature.  Now, a Hummingbird would be one animal that I could talk to, and listen
to, and watch for a long time.

Skylander