[at-l] How about a 4000 mile Trail??

At 07:08 AM 6/8/2004 -0400, Mark Hudson wrote:

><<http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11883327&BRD=2052&PAG=461&dept_id=388728&rfi=6>>
>
>Some things I haven't figured out about the North Country Trail...
>
>I did the Finger Lakes Trail last year. Parts of it are concurrent with
>and/or have been "certified" as the North Country Trail. As far as I can
>tell in order to be certified the trail must be running across either
>public property or a permanent easement. Since much of the Finger Lakes
>Trail runs across private property (many thanks to the landowners!!!) that
>I do not foresee either being sold or "easemented" (a fair amount is
>farmland, we're not talking wilderness, at least in the central NY area) I
>can't see how there will ever be a "North County Trail" on the ground. Lots
>of sections, some even linked, but intact under the "certified" terms?
>That's not to mention that there was also a fair amount of road walking
>involved.
>The other thing I couldn't figure out is the eastern terminus is at Crown
>Point NY.  60 miles by road would take you to Maine Junction, and a shorter
>beeline due east would tie in farther north on the Long Trail. So why miss
>the tie-in?
>
>skeeter

It's my understanding that 1) the NYSDEC has 'issues' with having a trail
running through the Adirondack Park which would be under Federal
jurisdiction (not everyone who is concerned about "state's rights" lives
out West) and 2) Vermont was not interested in having another trail link to
the Long Trail (increased usage and maintenance?) thus the proposed end at
Crown Point. Thus much of the North Country Trail in NY is in limbo. Crown
Point is an interesting spot of historic significance though so isn't such
and odd end point as you might think.