[at-l] Falling Tree at Pine Grove Furnace (OT)

In a message dated 6/8/2004 9:34:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
s.landis@comcast.net writes:

Intolerant? Guilty as charged.  I was saddened and moved when I  read the
news of a young child being killed in his tent by a  falling tree.
**
As were we all, once we read it.

have personally heard and felt the thud when the top a dead tree fell on
the Trail minutes after I had passed.
**
I had one fall 10 seconds after a group of us passed it in Harriman  State
park.

I hike,  my daughters hike, and in
fact they probably spend more time sleeping  outside in tents than most
during any given year.  In addition, this  happened in my community and
in the larger "Trail" community so this hit  close to home.
**
Right, and it will make everyone more careful for a while. As it  should.

I  posted a news item about this tragedy that can happen to any one of us
as  a "Let's be careful out there message" and the first response was a
whining missive from you about your preferences for navigating the
internet. Yup, I'm intolerant of BS like  that.

Steve
**

Since I didn't fill out the info, at the time of my reply I hadn't read the
story.
2 thruhikers I hiked with had a tree fall at their feet,  and within  range
of my tent
and Wench's tent. Accidents happen, we were lucky, it missed all of  us. Is
the
story tragic? Yes. So was my nephew choking on a push pin and dying last
year,
and my mother dying of ALS. In the big scheme of things did your little  girl
put
down of my Internet choices make any points? Yes... And we all will judge  it
in
our own way & foster our own opinions.
You made a good point with the "be careful out there" message.  Too bad you
felt
it necessary ruin it with smart comments. I won't comment any more on this.
You
can milk it if you want.
.
hotdog