[at-l] Pack weight

I first read it in Backpacker, but I don't know its origins before that.  In 1989, when I started hiking, 1/4 to 1/3 of your body weight was standard.  anklebear
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: TrailR@aol.com
  To: hikers99@yahoo.com ; at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 11:22 PM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Pack weight

  In a message dated 6/6/2004 9:58:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
  hikers99@yahoo.com writes:

  I  remember reading a long time ago, that your pack shouldn't wiegh more than
  25  to 30 % of your body wieght.  Where does thsi figure come  from/

  **

  >From people who carry too much... :-)
  25% of my weight when I started my AT hike would have been 54 pounds.
  I thought the 36 I carried was too much.

  25%... It's rule of thumb... And a fat thumb at that...

  hotdog

  Hmmm... I gueess I don't know where it came  from.