[at-l] Full Moon Fun

Another full moon...another hike!

I am feeling much better after my jaunt Sunday. As
such, felt good enough to go on with a planned hike
for the full moon.

This time we would hike up the side of Flagstaff Mtn
in Boulder. The destination was Artists' Point. This
point lives up to its name: panoramic views of a
sunset over the divide, can see the plains. The nearby
Sunrise Ampitheater has striking views to the
east...perfect for a moon rise!

In any case, met up at the trail head and started
hiking through the meadow. More wildflowers galore! A
quick rain shower had just passed through and not only
did we smell the wet meadow and flowers that had that
distinct smell of Spring, but saw a rainbow too!

Made our way up into Gregory Canyon. This canyon is
heavily wooded with brooks and dark shadows. It was
cool and slightly misty. It fits something out of
German folktale.

Up the side of Flagstaff we went and up the steep
switchbacks. Passed a mountain meadow with several
deer foraging.

Made our way to Artists Point by sunsert. Awesome
view!
The clouds framed the divide quite niceley while being
a pale orange-red. The Alogonquins used to call this
full moon the "Strawberry Moon" due to the wild
strawberries coming out at this time. (So says the
Farmers' Almanac). As such I packed in the fixings for
sundaes. Vanilla ice cream in a cooler pack, chocolate
syrup, whipped cream, and strawberries. Naturally
packed in spoons and bowls, too. Needless to say
surprised a few people with this mini-feast. :-)

After the ice cream, wandered over to the Sunrise
Ampitheater to catch the full moon. Simply beautiful!
Made our way down the mountain and saw the same meadow
bathed in the silver light of the moon.

Was a little sore going down the mountain, but not as
bad as could be. My ultra recovery is going well!

A great and memorable hike!

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com