[at-l] NOW Wal-Mart... WAS Confusering in VT

>"...Ok so competition is alive and well, just what I want to see in this
country. As for food prices, I've heard that the food business is one with =
razor thin profit margin, something around 1-2% overall on gross sales in
big supermarkets. So I wouldn't expect to see prices that much lower
anywhere."

Maybe. But from time to time I read things like Maine farmers are getting 3=
 cents a pound wholesale for potatoes and I go to my Maine supermarket and =
see they are selling for 60 cents a pound. =

Farmers are in trouble all across the country from prices that haven't rise=
n in decades, while supermarket prices continue to escalate. Being a cynica=
l sort, I tend to think that all this talk of competition may be a sham -- =
like the stock market during the 90s.

Weary