[at-l] Stormy weather

When I was on the AT, my goal to finish my hike was so
central that it protected my mind from blowing up with
all the weather-related frustrations. I know that now,
because when I read my journal entries, I wonder how I
managed NOT to lose my mind! So I think that's part of
it. The goal just puts everything else into
perspective and makes all of the hardships not quite
so hard.

It also helps when you're not the only one suffering.
If there are other hikers out there with you, then a
camaraderie results, and it makes the tough days seem
a little more bearable.

Sometimes, though, it just helps to "bail out" for a
few days. Not hard to do on the AT, with so many
towns, motels, hostels, etc.  I took two or three zero
days in Hanover because I was so sick of wet boots,
and so exhausted by the Whites, and I needed a break.

Sometimes its necessary to bail out, if you think that
the weather is a true threat to your safety. And I am
speaking as a person who hasn't always bailed out (I
have this stubborn streak ...). On the AT there are so
many side trails and roads and places to stay, this
shouldn't be a problem.

Still, sometimes you'll end up in one of those
"how-did-I-get-myself-into-this?!?" situations when
all you can do is hole up in a relatively safe place
(under trees, on a high spot, etc.), cross your
fingers, pray, whatever. It also helps to have
shelters as an option. As much as I dislike staying in
shelters they were always a godsend when the weather
was bad.

Waterfall
ME-GA 2000

=====