[at-l] Baltimore Jack in the news

I happened to be in Wal-Mart today and decided for the heck
of it to pop into the magazine isle.  First thing I noticed
was that National Geographic Advanture magazine was doing a
bit on The Great Hikes in the June/July issue.  I pulled it
off the shelf and saw that they were showing the The Best of
the Big Three.  I looked inside and found what page the
articles started on and low and behold a beautiful shot of
McAfee Knob.  I continued and came to a pullout on the AT.
While looking around at the info they had on the AT I saw a
mention of the Barefoot Sister.  Then on the opposite side
of the page I noticed this picture.  The face looked REAL
familiar.  I knew that face, it was Baltimore Jack up by the
Mt. Washington sign.  They have a few lines from him right
underneath talking about some of the hiking legends, they
definitely making mention of him being a hiking legend
anymore at the age of 45. Dang I didn't think he was that
much older than me.  I thought he was only around 40.

To say the least I ended up buying a copy of it since him
and I summited together on our first complete thru-hike, my
only one and his first full thru-hike.  It also included
other nice pullout on the PCT and CDT.  It gives some of the
comparisons between the trails, including some definitely
shocking comparisons, like which trail has the most vertical
climbing, and which has the highest stretch for 40-50 miles.

Definitely an interesting series of articles on the long
distance hiking trails.

Ryan "MEANT 2B" Crawford
Sunapee, NH
GAME '97, MSG '01, SRK '03