[at-l] Musings on Walmartians and such

Gosh, all these walmart posts got my poor head to thinking - a dangerous
thing! :)  As is often the case, I have mixed feelings, but here goes
with random thoughts:

1)  Let he/she amoung us who has never been in one cast the first stone
. . .

2)  Change is inevitable; some good, some bad, some just is . . . I
think I can still smile, love and live life large here in little ole New
Bern, even though the local walmart has come to town and had an impact
on certain people, businesses, etc.

3)  Large size presents opportunity and challenges - it is interesting
how the larger retailers sometimes end up doing a lot of good when
consumers make their collective voices know - like changes at McDonalds
with packaging, animal humanity, new focus on some version of nutrition
concern, etc.  Ditto for walmart . . .

4)  Large size brings with it a natural tendency to collectively lay all
good and bad under one name; there are lots of good people who work at
walmart, and at the smaller stores, too.

5)  To me, in the long run, the biggest problem with large size is on
the supply chain side, not the retail establishment side.  What do I
mean by that?  I mean that Walmart would much rather buy 300,000,000
tons/year of bacon from one meatpacker, than deal with 50,000 small
farmers; ditto for the clothes, etc.  The pendulum will swing up and
down, and technology gives the little guys some interesting new
opportunities (Alvin Toffler's musings on that topic still strike me as
relevant), and nobody ever promised us a rose garden . . .

6)  I personally am not sure our current prez knows much about
capitalism, or that there is much distinction between classic dems and
repubs these days when it comes right down to it - it is awfully hard
for any elected political figure to truly cut back on government -
he/she seems compelled to justify existence thru passing SOME new law,
or another (pro or con on walmart, for example).  I think I lean towards
libertarianism, but the odds of such a view gaining mainstream support
are slim.  In the meantime, each of us can practice some "free thinking"
by trying to figure out ways to make a difference without needing a new
law, or even a zoning battle . . . just vote with yer feet, yer dollars,
and yer mind . . . and temper it all with the awesome thought that those
little self-decisions matter more to the Creator, to yourself, and to
our ultimate fate than do all the laws, governments and such that we
have managed to create over the thin slice of history we presume to know
about . . .

After all this thinking, I need to do some heavy duty walking! :)

thru-thinker