[at-l] Confusering [OT]

LOL.   I do shop at Wal-Mart in Littleton, NH.  The only item I buy,
however, is their brand automatic dishwasher detergent because Consumer
Reports testing rated them the tops.

On a more serious note about Wal-Mart serving the poor and the marginalized
[which may or may not be the case among thru-hikers... ummmm correction...
we are often marginalized and poor but not in the context that you may be
referring to:]

I believe the data in the book I suggested may change your mind.  Certainly
freedom of choice is a wonderful gift of/in our country.  But I believe it
is inaccurate or an over generalization to suggest that mom and pop stores,
which Wal-Mart puts out of business, as being a problem for the poor.  Mom
and pop stores are in most cases located in town - small drug stores,
clothing and grocery stores - they are convenient for many and operate with
a very small profit margin.  When they are forced to close, the whole town's
dynamics change, usually for the worse.

The whole aspect of of big business and capitalism is a complex one.  I'm
not really a Wal-Mart hater.  But because of their size and methods of the
past, they bare close scrutiny like any large corporation.  St. Johnsbury,
VT refused a Wal-Mart proposal years ago.  Wal-Mart subsequently built a
large entity in Littleton, NH - 20 minutes away.  The no sales tax
attraction in NH, attracts lots of VT purchasers to Littleton where they may
shop at Wal-Mart, Staples, and other large chains.  Had St. Johnsbury
accepted a Wal-Mart, perhaps it would not be as much in the process of
decline that it finds itself, now.  And just maybe there'd be a Staples and
other large chain stores such as Home Depot in STJAY.

Would it be, is it, detrimental?  Depends on perspective.  All this give and
take is a problem of capitalism and every system has its problems.  However,
I'm not an economist, just a retired minister.  marty aka rusty