[at-l] BFT

Russ wrote:
>   Thanks Jim!   We are looking for a 5 day hike... we originally and
>possibly still are
>looking at going from Linden,VA to Harpers Ferry... But it is logistically
>challenging and
>thus the BFT.   Any suggestions?

Russ -
The BFT is a 42 mile loop - good for 3 or 4 days, could be stretched to 5.
Lots of water, lots of climbs, some good views/scenery.  We've done it
several times- including as a series of dayhike loops.  If you have a map,
there are lots of possible loops using the ski/snowmobile trails. Not to
worry about the skis and snowmobiles - at this time of year, they've all
gone home.  <VBG>

Alternatives - the Chuck Keiper Trail is also a loop - just under 50 miles.
Less people than the BFT, lots of climbs (good training for the AT), lots of
water this year (so far),  some good views/scenery. We've also done this one
several times - it's our "second favorite PA trail" and we're writing a
trail guide for it. We've never met more than one other person/group on the
trail anytime we've been out there. The trail consists of two loops - an
east loop (~20 miles) and a west loop (~30 miles) with a common
cross-connector (makes it look like a figure eight).

The Quehanna Trail is a 72 mile loop on the NW PA plateau.  Really nice
trail, not a lot of climbs, goes through PA elk country, lots of meadows &
wildlife, remote, not a lot of people.  And the water situation should be
good.  We may find out this weekend - we may be doing a partial loop.
Haven't been there since 98.

Our favorite PA trail is the  Donut Hole - it's a linear trail - 90 miles
between Lock Haven and Sinnemahoning roughly paralleling PA Rt 120.
Generally rough, lots of climbs, remote, sometimes not well maintained, but
we just spent a weekend out there with a trail crew so at least parts of it
are in good shape.  Lots of water - we're still drying out our boots.
Generally easy hitching between trail access points.

Another good 3 day hike is the Bucktail Path - 35 miles, no people,
well-watered, remote,  good climbs/views.  But it's linear, too - and you'd
definitely need 2 cars to do it.  KTA sells the guidebook - we checked it
for accuracy last July.  It's nice to know that what we wrote is still good.
  <g>

Lots of alternatives, Russ - few of them easy hiking - or logistically easy.
But worth doing.  If you want more details on anything particular, let me
know -

Funny thing - over the years we've been singularly unsuccessful in finding
at-l people to hike them (or maintain them) with us.  So we don't go looking
much anymore.  Besides, we really like the remoteness and solitude.
Walk softly,
Jim