  From: Bror8588@aol.com
  To: shellydhale@earthlink.net ; wolferrae@earthlink.net ; at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 8:03 AM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Ocoee

  In a message dated 5/25/04 04:06:27 Eastern Daylight Time, shellydhale@earthlink.net writes:

    On another note, the Benton MacKaye is currently being extended to run all
    the way to GSMNP and will eventually hook up with the AT there.

  Does the Benton MacKaye Trail have a "Shelter System" like the AT or is it a trail where hikers set up their own "camps" along the way?  Do Bear pose a problem as they do at Shelters?  Are there hydration opportunities along the trail?

  I noticed that the Benton MacKaye Trail crossed the AT several times in Georgia.  Does it continue to do that up to the proposed joining in the GSMNP?

  I imagine that the BMT is less traveled than the AT.  Is that preferable to those who walk it or is that the point of getting into the wilderness -- solitary seclusion?

  Thanks in advance for the many words of wisdom that I hope will be offered.

  Skylander