[at-l] Benton MacKaye Trail

Hi gang,

	Sunday after Trail Days (great time, lots of old friends there) John
O and I headed south to hike the BMT. The north end of the BMT is at
the Ocoee River, home of the 1996 Olympic Kayaking events. We arrived
late and took a quick 3.5 mile hike. That night we slept in Ed Speer's
hammocks. In fact I slept quite well the whole 93 miles as a bear
pinnate. The second day we had a late start waiting for the White
Water Center to open so we could purchase a topo map for the Big Frog
Wilderness. Lots of trails and no blazes in the wilderness, Yea! Out
altimeters and compasses came in handy on this hike. So we did 12.7
miles after lunch. That night Johns back really bothered him. The next
day John went to town to find a back doctor and also made a side trip
to Mount Ogeltorpe. I saw wild hogs that day with lots of piglets.
Also saw some small dark cat creature. Oh yea it rained really hard
for over an hour.
	With no back relief in Blue Ridge, GA. John drove me to Springer so I
could walk back to my car. After signing the register I headed north.
Soon I saw a bear and three cubs. They were so close I was startled
and didn't get pictures. Hopefully my pig pictures came out. Will post
them to Gallery later. Had a great hike. Got trail magic yesterday.
And yesterday was the first day I saw any other people in the woods.
This morning I completed the last section and drove home.
	Twice as much time would have been nice. There is so much to see in
this area and I had too little time. Driving home past NOC, Smoky Mnts
so many places to stop. I could have spent a couple of days on the
Ocoee River!

chase