[at-l] hiking with grand kids

I don't have kids, father nor grandfather but I have
hiked the trail and saw one(!) group of hikers just
like that.

I don't know how far they got, but my impression was
that it was not very.  The kids were having a great
time, father was fit, competent and worried;
grandfather had waited too long to start and was not
in very good shape.

As was said in an earlier reply, the kids want to
play.  They should only carry what is absolutely
necessary for them to carry--the 17 year old will
probably outrun and out carry everyone.  The younger
ones are fit to go at about age 5 and will surprise
you.

The success for the trip will be on GF. My experience
was that the AT is NOT just a walk in the woods.  In
the South, after April 15 or so, maybe--in the Whites,
you'd better be in shape, strong and ready for the
weather.

I don't know what kind of shape GF is in, but he
should get on the stairmaster now, gain some weight if
he's anywhere near "thin" and expect a real workout.
Knees will be a problem: use hiking poles on the hike.

Mental preparation?  I laugh at mental preparation:
either you want to finish or you don't--just keep the
kids involved and committed to the hike.  No whining!

With a start late enough to avoid snow and with the
short miles to keep the kids happy you'll likely want
to be ready to flip to Katahdin and come south late in
the season--avoid snow if you can and be ready to bail
north if the skeeters get too thick: kids and skeeters
probaby don't mix and will be a problem toward the
middle of the hike.

Rain, cool weather and nutrition are your main
planning obstacles.
1. Lots of socks!  Stop when you can to dry things
out: carry the wet socks on your backpack to dry
during the day.
2. Everybody needs raingear. (I tried it with
trashbags, including a Colin Fletcher "skirt" and
would have been OK in any year but '03. Can you say
"miserable?")
3. Carry and take some vitamins--maintain energy
levels.  Stop often and eat hearty in the trail towns.
4. Hats and gloves!  They'll likely not wear the
gloves until late but cold hands and wet feet are not
a good thing.  I wore my knit cap to bed OFTEN.

GF might be able to drink bad water and share food
with other hikers with no trouble: I'd worry about the
kids' digestive systems.  Diarrhea can be a real
downer.  TP is not a necessity (except at altitude in
the north) but (if kept dry) can prevent a lot of
discomfort.

The best advice I can give is to go to the library and
take out ALL of the books you can find about hiking
and the AT and go to http://trailjournals.com and read
what kind of trips others have had.
Good luck.

List bullies?  Hey! This is nothing but a bunch of
electrons on a screen: bring 'em on.

>>>-------------------------
Hello.  My father is planning to walk the Appalachian
Trail next year
with his four grandsons and I was looking for
information on "Walking
the Appalachian Trail with Kids" but have been
unsuccessful.

My son will be 12 years old when they leave for the
hike and I would
like to help prepare him but I have NO idea where to
begin.  (The oldest
grandchild will be 17 and the youngest will be 9.)

 I desire info on gear, getting physically prepared,
mentally prepared,
and surviving the elements and of course ANY helpful
hints anyone may have!

Any info from other hikers who have hiked with kids or
books on it would
be great.

Thanks so much.

Lauri