[at-l] Re: "Don't Die On The Mountain"

Mark Hudson (skeeter) wrote on 5/11/04:
> I just noticed this book in the new ATC Trail Store catalog. It's
> copywrited 1998 but new to me. Has anyone read this one? Reviews
> appreciated!

Someone already replied, but I'll add some more stuff.  This book was
reviewed in "Appalchia" (an AMC mountains/mountaineering publication)
by Sandy Stott in the 6/15/99 issue:  "Twenty-seven years ago, Dan
Allen wrote the first edition of this White Mountain classic...in
thirteen chapters, Allen sets out to help "beginners and others who
want to know what makes the difference between safety and disaster in
the mountains."  Allen starts where most perilous crossings originate
-- in the minds of mountain wanderers.  In a concise, readable way,
Allen discusses decision making for groups and individuals.  According
to Allen, "everyone going to the mountains should think like a
leader," and by this he means that each of us is responsible for the
type of continuing assessments that too often we foist on those with
titles.  In asking for such awareness the book addresses "you," the
reader.  Allen brings "you," wearing a sixty-five-pound pack to the
hypothetical edge and suggests that you think carefully about your
capabilities at your new weight before leaping for the other side.
Reinforcement of such common sense is a strength in this book.
Someone new to the mountains who takes its advice to heart should
avoid the fate of its dire title...Allen devotes chapters to trip
organization, natural hazards, emergency situations, weather,
navigation, and camping and equipment, among other topics.  But in the
epilogue, he returns to his true subject, the mind of the hiker.  He
asks you to "think about the kind of hiker you are.  Are you rash, a
risk-taker?"  In his questions and...advice...Allen locates safety in
the myriad decisions we all make...in the hills."  This is a book
about safety and stresses good judgement.  If you read Appalachia and
its reports of "incidents" in the White Mountains, you'll know that
many (if not most) of the problems/injuries/deaths occurred because of
poor judgement on someone's part.
	In March 2001 (at age 65+), Dan completed a hike of the
A.T., all in the winter months.  He taught math and physics, and was
an environmental engineer.  He was an instructor for 17 years in the
AMC's Mountain Leadership School.  He and his wife, at the time of the
book's publication at least, were maintaining several trails including
3.1 miles of the A.T. on Mt. Cube.  On the book cover it says, "the
author is the first to admit that he wishes that he had understood
years ago what is involved in responsible, cautious decision-making.
He has survived through good luck and the help of many people.  He
wants you to become one of those talented hikers who is able to help
others survive."  If you're going to be hiking above tree line in the
mountains, this would be an excellent book to have.
	These are some of the decisions he says you have to
continually address, using good judgement, viewing both present and
foreseeable conditions:
1. Do we have and are we using the right clothing and equipment?
2. Do we have enough energy and skill?
3. Are we eating and drinking enough to match our rates of energy
output and liquid loss?
4. Should we modify our objectives in view of the time, the weather
and the pace?
	In the Epilogue he leaves you with 3 last thoughts:
1. There is no adequate substitute for an early start.
2. Decisions often make the difference between life and death.
3. A mountain trip is successful only after a safe return.
	P.S. The book has a good bibliography.

	~~eArThworm

PPS: In Jan. 2002 it was reported in an MIT newsletter that Dan had
aggressive prostate cancer.  I wonder if/hope that he is still among
us.