[at-l] Quick Katahdin Trip

In a message dated 5/11/04 5:25:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ellen@clinic.net
writes:

> >"...Somehow, through all that megacorp incest, liquidation logging on
> >'protected' land has emerged as the offspring. Katahdin Timberlands, btw,
> >operates those six rental cabins at the northern end of the hundred mile
> >wilderness, and is currently rebuilding the Abol Bridge." reports TJ.
>
> I think there is confusion here.
>
> The Katahdin Forest Project protects 241,000 acres directly abutting Baxter
> State Park: The Nature Conservancy has taken title to 41,000 acres of the
> fabled Debsconeag Lakes region and holds a conservation easement on an
> additional 200,000 acres of Maine forest.

The logging is happening, on TNC protected/conserved/mortgaged/whatever land,
somewhere down the road leading into the Debsconeag Lakes region. As Weary
can attest, "protected" means different thing to different people in Maine. I'm
not sure what the small print in TNC's deals were, but I suppose it was like
the AMC's where continued logging was a condition of the sale.

TJ