[at-l] Energy Central News Article

sloetoe@yahoo.com has sent you a link to Energy Central

A note from sloetoe@yahoo.com:
Regarding wind turbines and wildlife (avian) impact, the results of this study suggest "no big deal" however, with regard to an unexpectedly high bat mortality, the observation is "Holy Cow!"

Seems pretty silly to me. (The uncertainty mentioned regarding why bats were so much more susceptable than birds.) You take a echo-locator, put it in a noisy environment (a ridge top windy enough for a turbine site), then flood the area with low frequency throbbings overlain with 60 Hertz/harmonics noise, and then put your finger to your cheek and exclaim "Gee! Isn't that strange!"

I'll bet you that there's already an equation on the internet for sizing cuts into the trailing edges of the wind turbine to produce a sound frequency that would act as an irritant/warning to flying rodents in the area.

Just a thought....
sloetoe

Tucker County, W.Va., Wind Turbine Blades Kill 2,000 Bats Yearly

By Jim Balow, The Charleston Gazette, W.Va. -- May 9
 The whirling blades of the 44 wind turbines atop Backbone Mountain in Tucker County killed more than 2,000 bats and nearly 200 birds last year, according to estimates from researchers hired to study bird and bat deaths at the site.

Click below to follow this link

http://www.energycentral.com/global/nsar.cfm?li=p&id=0925484

Note: The above link may wrap on some screens. You may need to copy and paste the entire link into a browser window.
Energy Central
http://www.energycentral.com/