[at-l] Quick Katahdin Trip

>"...Lots of logging going on between the AT and the river. 30+ pickups were
>parked on the Greenville side, all belonging to logging crews according to
>bridgeworkers. They're stockpiling logs until mud season ends and the bridge
>reopens. The Millinocket mill will open up again then. The noise from chainsaws
>and  tractors near the spring (scheduled for an MATC worktrip) was unbelievably
>loud  and seemingly close, the only downer of the trip." reports TJ.

I'm not quite sure where the harvesting is occurring from TJ's description. The
land to the north of Abol Bridge and continuing 2 or 3 miles to the west is
owned by Baxter Park. Land to the south has been purchased by the Nature
Conservancy and is supposed to be managed as a  wilderness.

But I don't remember how far west it goes and I can't quickly find my map of
property owners.

But there is still a great deal of logging going on. The Millinocket Mills have
been in bankruptcy proceedings but I understand they will reopen soon, which is
probably why wood is being stockpiled.

Our new Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is very interested in  acquiring land
in the area as it becomes on the market.

Our efforts became more difficult with the defeat of a land purchase bond issue
in the Legislature that adjourned last week. With a state bond issue we would
only have to raise matching money. Without it we will have to raise the full
price. But perhaps the price will decline now that there is no state subsidy.

Land remains relatively cheap in the Maine woods. AMC paid about $400 an acre
for the 37,000 acres it purchased. This is twice as much as other recent
purchases, but still low compared with prices nationally.

We especially wanted a bond issue before prices escalate even higher. Democrats
control the Legislature and overwhelmingly favored a new "Land For Maine's
Future" bond issue. But the Maine constitution requires a 2/3rds legislative
vote before a bond issue can be passed on to the voters. And the REpublicans
were overwhelmingly opposed.

The last land bond issue in 1999 was passed by nearly 70% of the voters, and
broad based support of the land bond continues. The continued support  from
ordinary citizens has been amazing. More than 260 businesses and organizations
have come  together and continue to work in support of a land bond.

We are hoping that a special session this summer will approve the bonds and it
will go to the voters in November.

Weary