[at-l] Poison Ivy Vaccine?...Rhus Tox

Seeing as how all of us are out in the woods almost all year long pursuing our love of the outdoors, we are more prone to come into contact with poison ivy/oak.  I don't know if this product has been discussed on this list before, but I thought that I would pass the information along in case it proves to be useful to someone.

My 8 year-old daughter got into some poison ivy this week.  As she has very, very sensitive skin, she tends to have somewhat severe reactions to this plant.  As I sit here typing this post, she is covered in huge welts and blisters.  I took her to the doctor yesterday, and a nurse there told me about a "vaccine" type OTC (over-the-counter) product that when taken at the first of the season helps to lesson severe reactions to poison ivy and poison oak.  She called it Rhus Tox.

One of our local pharmacies makes this homeopathic remedy.  The product is in liquid form and comes in 3 small vials.  The instructions provided state to take 1 vial each week for 3 weeks.  To take the remedy, one holds the liquid in the mouth for 30 seconds and then swallows.

It is made from the leaves of the poison ivy plant and gathered at night when the poison is at its most potent state.  The leaves and stalks are then crushed to a pulp, mixed with alcohol, strained and diluted.  Therefore, I think that it would be prudent to those that have experience really severe reactions to do so under the supervision of their doctor.

>From the research that I've done on the internet and talking to local pharmacists, this product has to be taken each season, and does not work like a childhood vaccine shot.  However, it seems that theoretically over time that a stronger immunity could be built up against the exposure to the plant.  But, I would still follow practices concerning exposure that have been discussed previously on this list.

Shelly Hale