[at-l] AT Bibliography

At 10:56 PM 5/6/2004 -0400, Bruce Calkins wrote:
> > >Word Perfect 8 works great for me, though I hate to admit
> > > how much behind the times I have become.
> > >
> > >  Weary
> >
> > Truth is, a 3 or 4 generation old office package will do  more than
> > 98% of users need anyway. If it does what you need to get done,
> > don't worry about being up-to-date. It's a waste of money and the
> > learning  curve for the new version is a waste of time.
> > How's that for being a curmudgeon?
>
>I'm comfortable with the concept.  I'm running a 166 MHz Pentium with
>Windows 98 (Of recycled parts for the most part.) and getting everything
>done I need to do, and 99% of what I want to do, done.  Not that I'd throw
>out a faster/"better" machine if it did as well and cost me as little as
>this one.  (Of course I'm still comfortable with my 35 year old SVEA 123
>white gas stove for backpacking too.)
>
>Black Wolfe

As a 72 year old guy I once worked for was fond of saying "If it works,
don't 'fix' it". I should qualify my advice though. As I said once before
on AT-L, if your system dies or is requiring you to be more of a geek than
you want to be to keep it running, it is best to buy all new. For the
average user to cobble together cross-generation equipment/software is a PITA.