[at-l] flying with gear

In a message dated 5/6/04 7:45:01 AM, Bluetrail@aol.com writes:

> The only thing I wished I had taken--big, heavy, sturdy tent stakes.? The
> soil at the campsite outside of Zion was harder than rocks.? Some kind soul
> took pity on my son's 30-minute struggle with getting lightweight alumnium
> stakes into the ground and gave him a stake that looked like a railroad spike.?

          When long distance hiking, if forced to set up on a hard surface,
look for large rocks to put over your tent corner loops. Most tents will have a
nylon loop or grommet strap at the corner. A heavy rock can be sat on top of
this loop that will serve to secure the tent adequately. I've done it several
times on my adventures without having the rock let go during the night...