[at-l] flying with gear

In a message dated 5/6/04 11:01:16 Eastern Daylight Time, hudsom@us.ibm.com
writes:

> given the nature of some hiking
> gear it may look suspicious and cause them to do a visual check.
> I'm seriously thinking of UPS-ing my gear west this summer, and just check
> the "luxury" items like clean clothes and shaving gear... <g>

There are size and weight limitations with USPS, UPS, and FedEx but I am not
sure what they are.  Some items may have to be sent in separate packages.
Also, Greyhound and Railway Express are two other options.

If one is going hiking where would the pack/gear be sent?  If it were the AT
a Hostel along the way would be an option.  Perhaps a hotel or hostel in the
West would also be a possibility.

If one travels by AMTRAK then there are no restrictions regarding gear except
for fuel or volatile fluids.

Skylander