[at-l] breakfasts

On May 1, 2004, at 20:07, ken bennett wrote:

> On 5/1/04 3:57 PM, "Nicole Markee" <nicole@astrogirl.com> wrote:
>
>> I really need a hot breakfast that includes protein and fat (IE not
>> oatmeal or grits), but I'm a pouch cooker.
>

> I put powdered butter and full-fat powdered milk in my
> breakfast-in-a-bag
> meals. I have also added Soy Nuts and walnuts to oatmeal, grits, and
> granola. That adds plenty of calories and fat and protein for my
> taste. I
> could never stand powdered eggs (but I haven't tried the enertia eggs.)

Unfermented soy is something I generally don't eat any more due to some
thyroid issues I have.  I find that since I stopped eating it, I now
find it unpalatable.  If you like stuff like soynuts though, they are
quite filling.

Part of the reason I don't do oatmeal or granola is that they are
sweet, and I never want that in the morning.  Sweet flavors are not a
big part of my diet at home, so they aren't a big part of it on the
trail either.  I usually carry a couple of fun size snickers and a
single serve package of peanut M&Ms (for, say, a five day hike).  I
rarely finish all that, but once in a while, they are appealing as a
quick snack that doesn't require stopping.  Often, they wind up being
eaten towards the end of a long, rainy day.  :)

I carry real butter already to add to things on a random basis, and I
ordered some cheddar cheese powder yesterday since I can imagine myself
eating grits with cheese (and maybe some butter) in them.  I carry real
cheese too, but I'd rather not carry the extra breakfast weight if I'm
going to melt the cheese anyway.

-Nicole