From: "Nicole Markee" <nicole@astrogirl.com>
To: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:33 AM
Subject: [at-l] hike report, journals, thruhikers spotted

Over Easter weekend, I closed a break in my Virginia mileage around
Bailey's Gap Shelter.  I left the section near War Spur in 2002 because
I got food poisoning from some road food. The next fall I left from the
other end (Dickinson Gap) because of a wardrobe malfunction (shoe fell
apart) as well as the spectre of Hurricane Isabelle approaching my
home.

I saw thru-hikers Tucker, Pachu and Bacchus in the area and sheltered
with Pachu and Bacchus (and a section hiker named Trashman).  My entry
with pictures is here:

http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking/archives/000247.html

After that, I moved on to do Bastian to Atkins.  On that leg, I met
thruhikers Red Beard and Shadowman and sheltered with them at Chestnut
Knob.  There was another sectioner there named Deaf Don.  The entries
are here:

http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking/archives/000248.html
http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking/archives/000249.html
http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking/archives/000250.html

The first entry there also contains a picture of my tarp set-up, for
those of you who are interested in that sort of thing.  My man saw that
and was mildly freaked out.

Tino:  "But there's no protection?!"
Nicole:  "from what?  It's not like nylon will stop a bear, and there
aren't any bugs yet."
Tino:  "yeah, but it looks so....provisional"

It's really odd how we perceive some "protection" from a tent, isn't
it?  I used to feel that way myself until I tried the tarp and now a
tent seems claustrophobic.  I have no idea what I will do in mosquito
season.  I don't hike much at that time of year anyway, but the hiker
bug net I tried last year wasn't workable.  I'm still thinking about a
solution.

Felix - I saw your name in all the registers I opened.  It would have
been fun to run in to you, but I missed you by a couple of weeks.
Since I live between the Chester Gap and Manassas Gap trail crossings,
I stomp around on the AT here quite a lot.  If my timing had been
right, I could have met Ma and Pa (I met them on their thru in 1999
also).  I'm sorry I didn't know y'all were in my neck of the woods.

I saw some thru-hikers at the grocery store in Front Royal this last
weekend.  They are already here!  I couldn't offer rides, unfortunately
(Chester Gap is a long roadwalk).  I usually do, but we were using both
seats in the wee-tiny-car.  I often drive home from work crossing the
trail at Linden/Manassas Gap and I always look for hitchers.

-Astrogirl