[at-l] Sport (or not!)

In a message dated 4/19/04 20:07:51 Eastern Daylight Time, rcli4@comcast.net
writes:

> You folks will argue about anything.  There must be something in your life
> more important than this.  I keep reading them thinking they will morph into

Looking for entertainment?  The fun part about this subject is that it
involves those who participate.  If you are just "reading them thinking they will
morph into something worth reading" perhaps your interest lies elsewhere.  For
me the physical activity, the mileage measured, the equipment used or
available, the sights along the way, the camaraderie of fellow hikers, the "rules" of
the game (ATC, Wingfoot, ALDHA, etc.), and the support community (Hostels,
Magazines, Trail Days, Rucks, Internet Forums, Journals, etc.) make this a
worthwhile subject and a growing sport community.  For me it is a sport in which to
participate.  It is a sport that anyone can engage in, at any age, no matter
what shape or level of fitness has been achieved.  The fitness level gets better
as activity increases.  When injuries occur it is a Sports Medicine Doctor
that is sought for diagnosis and treatment.

Now it is true that it really doesn't matter what the activity is called.
But when people ask me "In what sports do you participate ?"  I answer
Hiking/Walking, Swimming, Sailing, and Basketball.  That is just me.  Others can answer
in their own understanding of what they do.

Skylander